Friday, March 20, 2009

Setting up and first days

'How much do you expect to earn?' said the tax man.
'Err, I don't know.' replied me.
'Just an estimate will be fine,' he continued before adding (I think he thought I did not know what 'estimate' meant) 'just a rough idea will be fine.'

He was very nice about it all. He explained about business tax numbers and how to use them, 'But only with genuine business expenses'. He even emphasised the genuine bit and sounded quite stern when he said it.

As I sat later in my luxury room at a Mexican resort I could appreciate the genuine business claim I would write for that. I was there on business. It was not a vacation. Work is work. The fact I had a flowery shirt on and was sipping a pina colada does not mean I was not at work. I even flicked through some brochures to emphasise the genuineness of it all.


(Left) A business meeting in Acapulco. Behind my wife were some guys diving. Quite amazing.

Writing ads also brought its fair share of worries. The ordinary classifieds and Google ads is what I thought I would try.

I originally read what other people had written. I was tempted to try, 'please buy my stuff so I don't have to do night duty anymore.' It did not seem very serious and business like though ( it would be interesting to see how successful it would be).

Setting up the google ads account was quite easy. Thinking of things to write was a little trickier. You are only allowed 25 characters for the top line and 35 characters for the next two lines. Characters includes letters, spaces etc.

Those in the know will have heard of AIDA. Apparently all successful ads contain this.
A - attention, grab the reader's attention. Best word is 'free'. But my stuff is not free so I can not use it. 'Sex' also works but again my stuff is a bit more cerebral than loinal ( I do not think that is a real word but on the internet I doubt my English teacher will be reading). In the end I just stated what it is.
I-interest. Make the reader think 'mmmm'.
D- desire. Make the reader think 'oooohhhh'
A- Action. Make the reader click your site and buy stuff or at least enquire.

So far so good.
Tax number to claim legitimate trips to Mexico - check.
Advertisements on google ads and local newspaper-check.
Website ( luckily my wife did all this, phew) -check.

All I have to do is sit back, let the orders flood in, learn Spanish and plan that early retirement.
Hasta Luego Amigos

No comments:

Post a Comment