Friday, March 20, 2009

All new to me

If somebody had told me a few years ago I would be my own boss and involved in a home business I would not have believed them.
Having worked in hospitals around the world for the past 25 years and a few years as a paramedic why should I throw that away for my own business.

I'm still not sure why I am doing it to tell the truth. I do know that it feels right. It is a new challenge. I must admit it has me all fired up. I feel very enthusiastic and can not wait for the next project.

Each day brings a new challenge. From taxation issues, advertising, promotion etc etc etc. I now know what a word document is but excel, just a load of boxes to me.

The travel is also pretty good. Last month in Mexico, next week to Japan and then in July to Hawaii. As well as that I get to choose when I have my holiday/vacation.

Previously time off had to be applied for, everybody wanted school holidays, time spent with the family was limited. Anybody who has worked shift work knows how draining it can be. A lot of research show that shift workers often die at a much younger age than non-shift workers.

I can point to one episode that made me realise I had to appraise my life.

Christmas day a few years ago. About 7pm. I was called out to a collapsed man. Despite CPR and all the usual procedures he died. His family took comfort from the fact he was at home and with his loved ones.

Two issues stayed with me. He was only a few years older than me and if I was to collapse the chances of it happening at my home was limited as I was hardly there. Working 50 to 60 hours a week is not conducive to spending quality time with the family.

When in Mexico I listened to a man called Bob Davis talk about motivation and attaining goals.

If I am to make a success of this I need to commit myself.

In the same way a sprinter does not start a 100m race thinking 'ooh it is a lovely day' ( I do not know what they think to tell the truth) I can not begin this journey thinking 'I wonder what will happen.'

My goal is for the business to succeed. However, it is not at any cost. I will still be true to myself. Success must come from hard work and /or smart ideas.

So, dear reader, if anybody has stumbled across this blog. Keep in touch and drop by every now and again and I will try to provide an honest account of what it is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment